Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Accidental Mother

Sometimes, you're asked to be involved in a young person's life, either for a short time, fixed duration or an indefinite period of time. Along the way, because of your innate maternal instincts, you accept the child as your own, and become their 'accidental mother'.

I'm in such a position...I find myself waxing and waning between acting as a 19-year-old's mother, sister and confidante. My protective maternal instincts just exposed themselves and while I've witnessed them before (I have many younger siblings), I'm surprised how strong they are for someone who is not mine. Makes me wonder if I could possibly be an adoptive mother...would I love protect my young even if he/she didn't enter my birth canal? I don't doubt it...

And I don't think there is such a thing as an accidental mother...

No comments:

Post a Comment